Replacing the battery from tending a leaky faucet, every small project is a DIY project that one can execute on their own. However, when it comes to replacing your car battery, you might want to turn to a professional experienced entity. As it involves various complex processes that need to be taken care of meticulously. Nonetheless, it is a project that you can do on your own if you know what to do.
Let’s say, your car battery got damaged in the middle of the road. In that case, you have two options. One, opting for an on site car battery replacement service, and two, doing it on your own. While it is without a doubt, will be convenient for you to call an emergency battery replacement service, you might not always get assistance from them.
In that case, you will be required to replace it on your own. So, how do you do that? Well, don’t worry, this article has got your back.
Here are the steps you need to follow to replace your battery.
Replacing Old Battery
- The first thing you need to do is to park your car on the side of the road. Since it is dangerous to work in the middle of the road as it can cause inconveniences for the other drivers. Even if your battery dies in the middle of the road, make sure to heed this instruction. Also, make sure to remove the key from the ignition.
- Open your hood and inspect the battery. Make sure you are not wearing any kind of metal ornaments like jewelry, a watch, and all.
- You should already know where your car battery is situated. If not then look for a rectangular box with two cables attached to it.
- Now, remove the negative cable, to identify the negative cable you can choose the cable that has a big minus sign on it. You should always unplug the negative cable, otherwise, there are chances of you getting electrocuted.
- Once you Remove the negative cable, now, you can remove the positive cable. The positive cable is red colored and has a plus sign on it.
- Now, you can remove the battery. Make sure nothing is holding it down like screws or wires. You should carefully remove the battery. Remember, a battery will weigh around 10-12 kg. So, make sure to ask for help if you cannot do it on your own.
Placing the New Battery
- If you have a spare battery on your car then that’s good. Or you will have to get to a store to get your new battery.
- Make sure you buy the correct battery. You should know for a fact that every battery has a different output and every vehicle requires different output. So, when you buy the battery make sure it matches the model of the car you have.
- Now, place the battery on its holder.
- Once done, you should connect the positive cable, the one with a big plus sign. When placing a new battery, the plugging-in process is different.
- Once you plugged in the positive cable, now plug in the negative cable. Remember, don’t make confusion with this detail as it can cause you to get electrocuted.
- Now, close the hood and start your car.
Without a doubt, car battery replacement is a complex process. But, if you know that process then it becomes extremely easy. However, If you face trouble in the middle of the road and don’t feel much confidence about replacing the battery on your own, then you can always call an on site car battery replacement service.